News

Ben Affleck banned from Blackjack at Vegas casino

Ben Affleck banned from Blackjack at Vegas casino

TOO GOOD TO PLAY?: Ben Affleck has been "banned" by the Hard Rock Casino. Photo: Associated Press

By Piya Sinha-Roy

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Actor Ben Affleck was banned from playing blackjack at a Las Vegas casino because he was “too good,” a source close to the Oscar-winner said on Friday.

Affleck, 41, was stopped earlier this week by security guards at the Hard Rock Casino in Las Vegas while playing blackjack because “you are too good,” the source said. He was told he could play other games at the casino.

Affleck, who won Oscars for co-writing 1997’s “Good Will Hunting” and producing 2012’s “Argo,” recently starred in last year’s crime thriller “Runner Runner,” where he played an online gambling tycoon.

The actor was on a short break in Las Vegas with his wife Jennifer Garner before he left to shoot Zack Snyder’s upcoming “Man of Steel” sequel where he will play Batman opposite Henry Cavill’s Superman.

An earlier story by celebrity news outlet TMZ.com said Affleck had been banned for life from the casino for counting cards, a method of using probability to predict the next hand.

A representative for the Hard Rock Hotel did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday.

(Editing by Eric Kelsey, Ronald Grover and Lisa Shumaker)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Dec. 19

Fresh
dolly

A look back at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."

in Music

Gene Simmons credits mother for drug-free life

Gene Simmons speaks onstage during the "4th and Loud" portion of the AMC 2014 Summer TCA on Friday, July 11, 2014, in Beverly Hills, Calif.

The Kiss frontman insists he has never been drunk or gotten high because he always worried about his mom's reaction.