News

Lakers’ Nash shut down for season

Lakers’ Nash shut down for season

OUT FOR THE SEASON: Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash (10) drives against Houston Rockets center Omer Asik (3) and point guard Patrick Beverley (2) during the second half at Toyota Center. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash has been officially ruled out for the rest of the season, according to a report on the National Basketball Association’s website on Thursday.

The two-time NBA Most Valuable Player played in 10 of the struggling Lakers’ 64 games this season because of a nerve problem in his back.

Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni closed the door on any chance of the 40-year-old Canadian returning for the last 18 games of what has been a disappointing season for the storied franchise.

“He’s not going to play,” said D’Antoni, whose Lakers are in second-last place in the 15-team Western Conference with a 22-42 record.

Nash’s last game was in early February when he played nearly 17 minutes against the Utah Jazz before sitting out the second half. He had two points and two assists in the game.

The point guard joined the Lakers ahead of the 2012-13 NBA season, part of a core group that was being counted on to return the franchise to its previous glory.

The news comes one day after the Lakers said hobbled five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant was being shut down for the season.

(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: July 29

benjerrys

A look back at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in National, World

Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border

Israeli soldiers patrol outside the northern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2014.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dashes any hopes of a swift end to the three-week conflict as Palestinian fighters launched an audacious cross-border raid.

in Music

Glen Matlock denies new Sex Pistols reunion

John Lydon, right, and Glen Matlock of The Sex Pistols perform at the Roxy in West Hollywood, Calif., on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007.

Sex Pistols star Glen Matlock dashes fans' hopes of another reunion by insisting he hasn't had any contact with John Lydon in five years.

in Music

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

FILE - In this May 11, 2013 file photo, Aretha Franklin performs during McDonald's Gospelfest 2013 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.Franklin won’t say what has caused her latest health problems, but says she’s had a “miraculous” recovery and is looking forward to performing soon.In a phone interview on Tuesday, Aug. 20, Franklin said that she recently had a cat scan and that it showed she was 85 percent improved. The 71-year-old has canceled several concerts and public appearances and blamed it on unspecified treatment.

Aretha Franklin stormed out a Johnny Rockets in Ontario, Canada last week after a nasty encounter with a rude employee.

in Sports

Only arguing remains in Sterling trail

FILE - In this Nov. 12, 2010, file photo, Shelly Sterling sits with her husband, Donald Sterling, right, during the Los Angeles Clippers' NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Los Angeles. With a $2 billion sale of the Clippers hanging in the balance, a judge is set to determine Monday, June 30, 2014, if the terms of a family trust alone are enough to confirm Donald Sterling was properly removed as trustee and allow his estranged wife to sell the team without his consent.

Only final arguments and a ruling remain in the trial to determine whether Donald Sterling's estranged wife can sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.