News

Ravens’ Rice indicted on assault charges after fight with fiancée

Ravens’ Rice indicted on assault charges after fight with fiancée

INDICTED: A three-time Pro Bowl player, Rice signed a five-year, $35 million contract with the Ravens in 2012 and helped Baltimore to a Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers at the end of that season. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – The National Football League’s Ray Rice, a Pro Bowl running back, was indicted on Thursday on a charge of aggravated assault after his arrest last month for fighting with his fiancée in an Atlantic City casino, the county prosecutor’s office said.

Police arrested Rice, who plays for the Baltimore Ravens and is known for his anti-bullying advocacy, and his fiancée, Janay Palmer, shortly before 3 a.m. on Feb. 15 at the Revel Casino and Hotel, charging them both with simple assault.

Surveillance tape showed them hitting each other in the casino elevator, police said.

The charge against Palmer, 26, has been dropped, the Atlantic County, New Jersey, prosecutor said.

A grand jury in state superior court indicted Rice, 27, with the more serious charge of aggravated assault on Thursday, court documents show, which carries a sentence of three to five years in prison.

Rice, who lives in the Baltimore, Maryland, suburb of Reistertown, his lawyer and Palmer could not immediately be reached for comment.

The Ravens released a statement on its website supporting Rice.

“This is part of the due process for Ray,” the statement said. “We know there is more to Ray Rice than this one incident.”

A three-time Pro Bowl player, Rice signed a five-year, $35 million contract with the Ravens in 2012 and helped Baltimore to a Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers at the end of that season.

(Reporting by Jonathan Allen; Editing by Richard Chang)

Recent Headlines

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."

in Music

Gene Simmons credits mother for drug-free life

Gene Simmons speaks onstage during the "4th and Loud" portion of the AMC 2014 Summer TCA on Friday, July 11, 2014, in Beverly Hills, Calif.

The Kiss frontman insists he has never been drunk or gotten high because he always worried about his mom's reaction.

in Music

Joan Jett to open for The Who’s 50th anniversary tour

joan

The "My Generation" hitmakers are set to bring their The Who Hits 50! tour to North America.

in Entertainment

Chris Pratt thought ‘Guardians’ would be a box office flop

Guardians Of The Galaxy

The "Parks and Rec" star was very, very wrong.