Mitchell Apartment Fire Cause Determined

Mitchell Apartment Fire Cause Determined


The cause of an apartment fire on Tuesday night in Mitchell has been determined. The fire started in the bedroom of one of the children just before 11:30 Tuesday night at an apartment at 1700 North Wisconsin.  A nightstand table lamp had been turned on and placed in a closed plastic container. The heat buildup in the container ignited a fire in the room. The fire has been declared accidental.

Jeremy and Jessica Jacobson and their two children lived in the apartment. Jessica Jacobson and her two children were home at the time of the fire. They evacuated the apartment after being alerted by a smoke detector located in the hallway.  The apartment was deemed unsafe, and the American Red Cross is assisting the family with lodging.

The Mitchell Fire Department, Mitchell Ambulance, Mitchell Police Department, Davison County Sheriff’s Office, and the American Red Cross responded to last night’s fire.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

WATCH: 7 fun facts to make you think this Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is a time of coming together with family and friends. In between bites of stuffing and pumpkin pie, snack on these unusual Turkey Day facts.

in Black Friday, Entertainment

Change your Amazon password now


With Black Friday and Cyber Monday quickly approaching, this might be the worst time of year for Amazon to have security concerns.

in Black Friday, Entertainment

PHOTOS: Macy’s Parade through the years


For 88 years the iconic Macy's Parade has been a Thanksgiving tradition.

in Entertainment

REVIEW: ‘Creed’ builds on the legacy of ‘Rocky’


"Creed" stays rooted in tradition while simultaneously taking the entire franchise in a new direction as vital as it is welcome.

in Black Friday, National

WATCH: How holiday shopping can help charities


In the frenzy of holiday shopping, consumers are doing more than getting great deals, they’re also using coupons to help raise money for a number of worthy causes.